All rational minds reject the “sex offender-Halloween” connection

By Sandy . . . We are at an interesting crossroads in regard to the craze that started sweeping the country around 2008 (see http://with-justiceforall.blogspot.com/2014/11/sex-offenders-and-halloween-will-it.html). As with almost everything I write, I wake up around 5:30 or 6 with the opening text, or the heading, or a few times the ending, being written in my head. This morning it was…

Read More

Nebraskans Unafraid, NARSOL, ask Nebraska Legislature for registry reform

By Sandy . . . On September 12, NARSOL was asked to submit written testimony regarding damages done by the sexual offense registry, with emphasis on recommended changes. We were asked to focus on two issues: the harm caused by retroactive application of registry requirements to those who had established stable lives and the importance of providing a clear path…

Read More

Testimony for NE Judiciary Committee hearing

Negative Consequences of Public Registration  By Brenda and Sandy . . . In 2009, Nebraska adopted the tiering system of the Adam Walsh Act, overnight essentially doubling its public database by pulling previously non-public registrants onto its published sexual offender registry, individuals who had already paid their debts to society and were moving forward with their lives.[1] Many had married,…

Read More

Parents of disabled adults on sex offender registries along with their children

By Chiara Eisner . . . Carol Nesteikis, 66, has never committed a crime. But for two years, from six in the evening to six in the morning the next day, she lived under de facto house arrest with her 32-year-old son, Adam. It wasn’t because she wanted to. The home itself was a kind of punishment, she says. Adam…

Read More

Those damn statistics again

By Sandy . . . The Alpena News, in reporting about the situation in Michigan where deadlines for registry reform set by the court have been ignored by Michigan legislators, used the opportunity to “enlighten” the public with some statistics about persons on the registry. “Data released in May by the federal Bureau of Justice Statistics indicates sex offenders are…

Read More

Those on the registry at increased risk during natural disasters

By Elizabeth Weill-Greenberg . . . For some people convicted of sex crimes in Florida, the only shelter open to them during Hurricane Dorian was the county jail. In some counties, people on the registry were barred from shelters set up for those evacuating, and told to go to separate locations, away from children and other community members. If they attempted to…

Read More

Second Circuit: Private company home visits constitutional for registrants

By Amanda Ottaway . . . A Long Island sex offender who faced home visits from a private nonprofit contracted by his county did not endure an unconstitutional search, the Second Circuit affirmed Wednesday. Writing for a three-judge panel, U.S. Circuit Judge Christopher Droney noted in the ruling that in this case, public-safety interests outweigh the offenders’ rights. “In sum, the program advances…

Read More

BREAKING NEWS: Hurricane Dorian updates

BREAKING NEWS FOR HURRICANE DORIAN EVACUATIONS ***9/5 UPDATE NORTH CAROLINA: From the News-Observer: “Should a sex offender try to enter a shelter, a deputy from the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office will take them aside, Schrader said, and offer them a location in the New Hanover County Jail, away from inmates.” https://www.newsobserver.com/news/weather-news/article234694582.html **9/4 UPDATE: OSCEOLA County has announced: “Sex Offenders…

Read More

The utter uselessness of sexual offense registries

Used with permission By Michael Hobbes . . . The first time Damian Winters got evicted was in 2015. He was living with his wife and two sons in suburban Nashville when his probation officer called his landlord and informed him that Winters was a registered sex offender. The previous year, when he was 24 years old, Winters had been…

Read More

Update: Aurora, IL asked to rescind eviction of registrants at Wayside Cross

UPDATE 2: A suit has now been filed; this report comes from Illinois Voices. Mark Weinberg and Adele Nicholas filed suit against the city of Aurora July 19 in the US District Court for the Northeastern District of Illinois Eastern Division: This case is filed on behalf of 19 named individuals in the suit who are being forced to move…

Read More