Advocacy

What will be at the conference for me?

“The most valuable part of the conference experience for me was knowing that there are other people out there who think and feel the same way I do and are trying to make a difference.  Bless their hearts.”  Jan in Florida

I attended the Los Angeles conference, and one thing that I learned is that I’m not alone and smart people care to change how we ‘punish’ in this ‘country of the free.’” Kevin in California

Doctors Julie Marie Baldwin and Tusty ten Bensel will present “A National Survey of Sex Offender Advocacy Groups.” Their presentation, which highlights their research, will show that “The effects of these laws not only impact those convicted of sex crimes, but also their families and friends. As a result, various sex offender advocacy organizations have been established across the country to protect, educate, and advocate for individuals convicted of a sex crime.”

Both Julie and Tusty are assistant professors in the Criminal Justice Department at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, and they share a desire to see sex offender laws address not only the legal concerns but also the human and personal concerns of those involved with the registry and to show how advocacy groups are indeed making a difference.

“Seeing so many people in similar situations to me diminishes my shame and makes me optimistic about the strength which we can have by working together.”   Kathie in Michigan

“Most valuable takeaway from NM RSOL conference: tangible evidence my family is not alone in our struggles.”  A supporter in California

Dr. Steven DavidSon comes from a long family line of Christian ministers and teachers. He himself holds several degrees in administration and pastoral ministries, including a Master of Divinity and earned doctorate in Christian Counseling.

His presentation, “The Power of Family to Survive and Succeed,” addresses the importance of family in the registered citizen’s struggle for dignity and for a successful assimilation into a peaceful and law-abiding life.

“It is good to hear others having the same concerns and wanting to help make changes.”   Robert in North Carolina

“It is refreshing to meet people engaged in the same struggle, facing the same issues, with optimism and grace.”  Norm in Connecticut

“After attending the conference, I felt like I was not alone; it is heartbreaking to hear the sad stories but comforting to know that there are good people out there working to correct the broken system.”  Sister of a registrant

Larry Dubin’s story is indeed heartbreaking, but he is using his personal fight to keep his autistic son from being required to register as a sex offender to draw attention to just how broken the system is. His presentation will focus on the disproportionate number of individuals on the autism spectrum who are also on the registry. “Autism and Sex Offenses: A Lawyer’s Fight to Keep His Son Off the SOR” will touch your heart and evoke righteous anger at the same time.

Larry’s career has included both practicing law and teaching legal courses, and his most recent professional path has led him to write. He has many published works, and most recently he is authoring a book to be released by the American Bar Association on the autism spectrum and non-violent sex crimes.

Additional presentations will be highlighted in future releases, as will additional responses from you, the attendees of past conferences. There is still time for early registration discounts at www.rsolconference.org, but time is running out.

See you in Dallas June 25-27.

The 2015 RSOL Conference Team

NARSOL

Written by 

This post was written by someone, or multiple people, within NARSOL.