Reply To: Sixth Circuit rejects Michigan residency & premises restrictions

Fred
Fred
Admin

The Justices said two things.

1. It is unconstitutional to apply new restrictions to someone after they were convicted.

2. The registry is a form of punishment.

Both of these sound like grounds to abolish the law to me. I wonder if these will result in immediate release to those who are incarnated for registry violations. It will be interesting to see what unfolds in coming weeks and months.

When i was convicted in 2000 I was required to register for 10 years. Then in 2006 they changed it to 25 years . If this ruling goes into effect, I should be off the registry immediately, if I am understanding correctly. However from the wording the Justices used I am under the impression they find the registry as a whole to be a form of punishment so therefore it should be abolished for all, regardless of when they were convicted. This should also result in a domino effect across the nation as it was found unconstitutional in a Federal court not a state court.

Continue to follow this law until you have further information. Do not assume anything. The government will likely take steps to put a hold on this ruling while they file an appeal, but remember this is a very positive sign that the tide is turning in our favor. We must not let up now. Keep the pressure on.