Reply To: Ron Book’s guilt satiated by hatred for sex offenders

Scorched Earth

Scorched Earth policy – A scorched earth policy is a military strategy that targets anything that might be useful to the enemy while advancing through or withdrawing from an area. Specifically, all of the assets that are used or can be used by the enemy are targeted, such as food sources, transportation, communications, industrial resources, and even the people in the area…Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_earth

Ron Book is a fine example of what not to be as people age when they have not dealt with their grief, anger and guilt. He went though a tragedy involving his child that no parent should have to ever experience. For that, he should receive sympathy. No child should experience what the nanny did. The act on the child should never be condoned.

Despite that, he should not be badgering and lashing out through his personal “scorched earth” policy. This policy is truly a military strategy and should not be a public policy by any means because it is dangerous to everyone, e.g. recovering victims, those convicted and trying to recover, and friends & families of both. His “if I have to suffer, you too shall suffer as long as I do” or “let me drink poison while I wait for others to die” will only continue to result in negativity across many spectrums for him, those like him who feel the same and others.

He has used his bully pulpit long enough to advance counterproductive agendas to help him feel better about the guilt. Politicians are scooped up in the related wave of emotion and use it to further their own agendas. Together, irreparable harm is created and power is inflated.

However, in reality, Ron cannot progress forward and will hold himself and others back trying to move forward because he won’t acknowledge the data, the professionals, including several from Florida, and those who are in the know of what really is the situation regarding recidivism, etc. It will be a better day when he decides to listen, read and understand these numbers, people and situations.

It would be a better legacy for Ron if he decided to help all who are impacted in Florida and nationally on this topic instead of being vindictively one-sided. He has some of the best lobbying skills as detailed online with his firm, so use them to help all…..help ALL.

Until then, Ron Book will continue to be an example of what is wrong about our society and its continual fear mongering, sky is falling, let’s go get’em mentality.

(P.S. John Walsh, politicians, the court system and others would be served best if they did the same, but that is for another day…)