Reply To: Atlanta RSOL Conference 2016 take-away: Whose voice is missing?

Derek W Logue of OnceFallen.com

The voice that is largely missing is the voice of actual registrants. Here we are in 2016, 20 years after Megan’s Flaw started posting people publicly on the Internet, and there are still too few people forced to register on this hit-list making their voices heard. Be it a public demonstration, a legislative hearing or a media interview, the voices of registered citizens themselves are not often heard. I have been heard more than most, but even then, those moments are simply me being treated as a novelty act. That isn’t a knock on our movement, but on registered folks in general.

I get lots of calls from registrants. Many just want resources (help finding a job/ residence/ attorney/ support group). Few join us, and fewer are willing to stand on the front lines out of fear. It seems many registrants are content with letting researchers and lawyers do the talking for us. Ultimately, we are feeding the stereotype of registrants s “cockroaches” or “vermin” who scurry away when the light shines on them. It is easy to dehumanize an invisible group. When we remain hidden, we merely set ourselves up for more dehumanization. I won’t stand for being compared to someone who raped and murdered someone and neither should you.