Reply To: Atlanta RSOL Conference 2016 take-away: Whose voice is missing?

Rick

My voice was missing and I wish it hadnt been. I am a man tempered wth a great deal of knowledge and would have been pleased to have a chance to speak. Let me begin by saying that those people who live in fear have every right to, but that does not give them the right to take away a persons citizenship.

Heres what I fear, that some drunk will destroy one of my childrens or family members lives, that some angry person will shoot one of my kids in a bar, that some prejudice moron wont give my kids a chance at a job, that some undertrained cop or prejudice cop will kill one of my sons over a traffic ticket, or that another crusader will come along and make life worse, or some overzealous prosecutor or judge tries to put away one of my children over some ridiculous law.

Point is there is no guarantee of safety for anyone, we all have to tolerate each others flaws from childhood through adulthood. But this is all a part of the human construct and reality, you just have to hope you and your family can escape these statistically inevitable events. If you want to blame someone, blame the creator, whoever you believe that to be.

My granchildren have to face this reality, and I hope they make it, but is something does hapen to them short of death I will tell them to pick themselves up and go on with their lives and to be grateful they have that chance, since so many people dont. Sure, let the law punish when necessary, but dont ever consider yourself a victim, except when you do nothing about whats hurting you. You cant be a victim if you try to correct something.

In short, live life as best as you can, you only get one to live.