Reply To: Reintegration, not registration, key to safer communities

Jeremy Heady

I’ve replied to you before as to why I (and I assume many others) refuse to fight parole and probation. Parole and probation are PUNISHMENTS in lieu of prison or jail. It is not supposed to be pleasant. Parole and probation are designed to give a little more freedom than incarceration, but the fact remains that you are not considered free yet. They are not really designed with reintegration in mind other than a small caveat: They provide strict rules of life for a specific time period and the expectation is that if you can survive under that punishment, then you can handle full freedom. Every major crime has people who go under massive restrictions pertaining to probation and parole if and when they are released. All constitutional laws are followed when it comes to this form of punishment as well, so it’s not a fight most of us want to fight. The fact that you are able to post online means your restrictions are less than most states. I was not allowed to access the internet at all unless I was at the unemployment office and then only to search for jobs. Posting online would have been a violation. The rest of us are fighting for rights to be restored to people who have finished their sentences. A person on probation or parole has not finished their sentence.