Reply To: Reintegration, not registration, key to safer communities

Maestro

“The best defense to recidivism is reintegration into society as quickly as possible. To be a law-abiding citizen, people have to have a purpose. What purpose? Home. Family. A job. Voting rights. Freedom of movement. The consideration of constitutional rights. All of these work together to reintroduce a person back into society, to regain a purpose in life.”

If that’s what it takes then even before trying to get rid of the registry, maybe we should be fighting to get rid of PROBATION. No one here but myself ever talks about probation.
When you step out of prison, the registry is the last thing you should be worried about because being on the registry doesn’t effect everyone the same way from one state to another in the country.
In Connecticut, we do not have laws restricting us from where we can live. It’s the PROBATION officer/department that puts that restriction on you.
I was homeless for a while because PROBATION would not allow me to live with my family due to the “kids in the neighborhood”. My offense didn’t happen with any of the precious kids in my neighborhood. It happened with an underage TEENAGER who lives 20 miles away from where I was living at the time.
If I was interested in the “kids” in the neighborhood of where I once lived, I wouldn’t have driven 20 miles out of my way. This is the crap probation officers fabricate in their own minds by their own ignorance.
Get rid of the probation department and that will be a step in the right direction.
No one can ever replace the time spent in prison. So therefore, when the day comes that you walk out of prison, you should be walking out into starting over again. Probation doesn’t help anyone start over. They couldn’t care less.