Reply To: Sex offender danger at Halloween — truth or fiction?

John W

I committed a sex offense in 1980. I was released from probation in 1986. In 1996 I had to register. Every year after that, there has been a pile on of laws, statutes, ordinances, and even constitutional amendments by Federal, State, and City governments, regulating everything, and I mean everything, that I do, everything of what I possess, (which also includes my wife’s possessions for we share the same address), There are laws regulating of where I can walk, run, drive, sit, stand, lay, sleep, worship, celebrate, eat, shop, visit family and friends, interstate travel as well as international travel, where I work, receive training or instruction, to what electronic sites I join, read, contact, receive or send data to, and to top it all off, the laws specifically requires me to know where all parks, swimming pools, schools, day care centers, bus stops, and any place that children congregate, within 500 ft, 1000 ft, and 2500 ft of myself at all times, because the laws declare that having “NO KNOWLEDGE OF PROXIMITY” to convicted sex offenders restricted areas, will be allowed as a defense. In other words, if I was standing on the sidewalk “without apparent purpose” and there were a group of children congregated 500 ft away, clearly out of sight, I am guilty of a crime which has no defense. Really? There is no doubt in my mind that a registered sex offender has a far greater chance of going to prison for violation of a registry law.

In 2010, the Missouri Supreme Court ruled that the “Halloween” statute cannot be applied to people who were convicted before the statute was written because it created “new duties”, a new punishment, therefore making it unconstitutional. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The Supreme Court of Missouri declares that I was being punished a second time because of a law that would put me in prison if I, or any member of my household were to give a neighborhood kid a piece of candy between 5:00 PM and 10:30 PM on Oct. 31 of every year. Yet all of the other laws that have doomed me to failure are declared, regulatory, civil duties, and non-punitive.
It’s like being in a world where people know how to write words, but it doesn’t matter, because no one there can read.