Reply To: Civil commitment setback | 8th Circuit reverses lower court

John W

Does anyone really know what “due process” is suppose to mean? I always thought constitutional amendments were written to limit the reach and power of the government in their never ending quest to protect us, from us!
I don’t have the ability to argue these points of law that “our” government uses to protect us, but I always knew “you do the crime, you do the time”. But let me see if I understand the way it works now.
A prosecutor, can use innuendo, hearsay, or even true facts of another person’s criminal behavior, and apply it to the account of a different person of similar crimes, than, have that different person committed to an indefinite confinement without the right to counsel or a defense. The prosecutor is allowed to do this because it is within the limits of the “conscience-shocking standard”. Are you kidding? Just using that phrase as a point of law sends a chill to my bones.
I got a good idea! Why don’t we, as a government body, hire a lawyer, give him a checking account with a indefinite amount of money, and I mean millions of dollars. Than, we can have him look around at some people who have already served their time in prison, or getting ready to be released, and we will confine them in a place that we will call a “hospital”. And if the DA’s do a good job, we will promote them to congressmen. There could be the problem that if we say it’s a life long commitment, it will not pass the Conscience-Shocking Standards Test (C-SST).
Maybe we shouldn’t say anything about time. We can just put a sign over the door that reads: “Arbeit macht frei”