Reply To: Abolish the public sex offender registry

Fred
Fred
Admin

I enjoyed reading your story and I agree, working for ourselves is the way to go and that is what I do now. I am happy to hear you are successful as landlord, but curious as to how you made that work. I owned 2 houses for rent and in 6 years I could not find a single reliable tenant who would faithfully pay their rent and take care of the house. One of them just disappeared and I never heard from him again. He owed me 3 months of rent. Another was always trying to get out of paying his rent by trying to get the city to condemn the house (which they wouldn’t do because there was nothing wrong with it) I finally had him forcefully evicted after he didn’t pay rent for 5 months and when I went in to clean up the interior was destroyed. That is when I decided it is time to get out of the rental business. All of these people had good references who said they are reliable and would be good tenants. This all went down during the housing crisis and I was not able to sell the houses, they were eventually foreclosed and it will be several more years before I am able to qualify for any kind of loan because of that. I strongly discourage anybody from getting into the the rental business when they ask me.