Reply To: North Carolina versus First Amendment: SCOTUS to decide

Jeremy

One thing the defense hopefully brings up is that this also hurts entrepreneurial ambitions of SOs and any small business we may work for. Since this system is set up to deny most of us even the most basic of jobs to support ourselves and our families, many of us have resorted to trying it on our own with our own businesses. Most businesses hire social media managers now due to the effect of proper social media advertising. As a business owner myself, I am very nervous about this decision because if my state tries to follow precedent (if we don’t win), then I will not be able to advertise online hardly at all! While you may think that I can just use search engines like Google and Bing, the algorithms for these search engines evaluate a business’s social media presence for rankings. Without social media for my business, my business is doomed to fail. The only thing I’m banking on if we lose is that my state (Indiana) has declared the registry punitive in a state supreme court decision. With that precedent, I can argue that any new laws affecting my status as an RSO do not apply to me under ex post facto rules. Maybe RSOL can help me with this if it comes to that. Unfortunately, this means that I will have to break the new “law” and be arrested before I can fight it though.