Reply To: Supreme Court asks for input of Solicitor General; what does this mean?

Chris

In reply to Bobby:

Thousands of people were added to registries retroactively; you aren’t alone. In my case, NC’s social media ban is being applied to me retroactively. I can’t even get on Facebook or Twitter to advocate for myself. Your inclusion on the registry is a direct result of the SCOTUS ruling in Smith v Doe, allowing retroactive application. In fact, there is a fair chance that you may still be required to register even with a Snyder win because of Smith. Since they ruled that requirement to register and public notification are not punitive, that may be held over while other restrictions (residential, etc.) enacted since your crime are not allowed retroactively. Don’t expect Michigan lawmakers to just roll over on this.

I’m sure I did not ever say it was fair. I think the whole idea of a registry is unfair. It is what it is. If I was in your shoes, I would expect to continue to register until SCOTUS hands down a decision. Unfortunately, that may be a year from now (or more) but at least you might have some relief in your future. Hundreds of thousands of us do not have that.

Keep in mind that I am not an attorney. I just read a lot and try to do my homework on this stuff.