Reply To: NARSOL joins Tenth Circuit case challenging license requirement

Jerry

You are right, Jim. Our hope is judges who do not have to look over their shoulder in an election every 2 or 4 years because of some self-serving, bigoted religious nut job who still follows the laws in the Old Testament and wants severe punishment for everyone, especially sex offenders, until it is their family member found guilty of a crime. It is these people who force weak-kneed politicians to succumb to creating unconstitutional sex offender laws under the guise that they are regulatory and not punishment.

The 24/7 cable television media started this nonsense about sex offenders (and for that matter, super juvenile offenders) right after they were born in the early 1990s, which has made a lot of people like John Walsh very, very wealthy, and has fanned the flames of the “do as I say not as I do” Right Wing Crusaders who have more skeletons in their closets than a medical school. God forbid if an elected public official comes to reason that these sex offender laws have gotten out of hand. If he or she dares to introduce such a bill to eliminate or reduce the cruelty, you can bet if they are Republican, they will face opposition in their next primary by someone who will not hesitate to play the “I’m tougher on Crime” card and exploit the commonsense legislator right out of a job. If it is a Democrat, the entire Republican Party will be calling for his or her head.

Collectively, with our families, NARSOL, friends, Catholic nuns, lawyers, psychiatrists, psychologists, sociologists, and criminologists we can put an end to this nonsense that has gotten way out of hand since it was created in 1996. But it is going to have to take place in high courts, like all justice in this country has been won.