Reply To: America’s game: Eternal recrimination and shame

Jeremy Heady

Jim, I tend to agree with you to an extent. I don’t think most of us that follow NARSOL are trying to take away anything from the victims that we and those in our class of citizens have hurt (although many can argue quite convincingly that nobody was hurt in their individual crime, such as internet sting operations). There are a lot of resources and organizations out there that remind us of this almost on a daily basis.

I would also say that offenders playing the victim does not bode well with the general public either. The most effective way to battle the problem of the registry is to continue to point out how it is demonstrably MORE dangerous for potential victims by putting offenders in higher risk situations. This is why most therapists and experts are against the registry. That point needs to be brought home more often.

The only reason the effect of the registry on the registrants should ever be brought up is when showing how past societies have used unfavorable populations to relax human rights standards before they go after larger populations.