Reply To: Packingham: Unanimous Court strikes NC’s social media ban

Mig

I agree. I won’t make a move until some sort of “official” statement is made.
There were 18 RSO’s arrested in a Louisiana city a couple of years ago for using social media. I wonder how slow the state will be to toss out those convictions/charges
Did you know that Louisiana Tier 2 and Tier 3 RSO’s cannot be within 1000 feet of a school bus? Does this mean that those RSO’s are provided with school bus schedules so they will know where they CANNOT be? How do legislators think that makes anyone safer? Would they pass a law that bank robbers cannot be within 1000 feet of an armored car? And if they did, do you think the armored car companies would be willing to give their schedules to convicted bank robbers in order for those bank robbers to know where they CANNOT be? Same logic with the school bus… if the state wants RSO’s to stay at least 1000 feet from a school bus then that means the RSO’s are supposed to know where the school buses are. Right? How would parents of the kids on those school buses feel if they knew that RSO’s state-wide had the bus schedules? Do they feel safer now? Just a thought and an illustration about how ridiculous the law makers are. Last year there was a bill in Louisiana putting this same 1000 foot distance between RSO’s and any home school residence. If this would have become law, then each and every RSO would be entitled to the addresses of each and every home school residence in the state of Louisiana. Fortunately, the bill was withdrawn. Maybe someone came to their senses.
Keep in mind that these distances do not just apply to residing in that zone… in includes a RSO’s PRESENCE in that zone. This includes hospitals, airports, Walmart, etc. I made a map of my city and it is absolutely impossible for a Tier 2 or 3 RSO to even drive through on the Interstate. He/she would have to exit the Interstate and drive through residential neighborhoods at 15-25mph in order to comply with the 1000 foot restriction because there are two high schools on the Interstate here. Do parents that think they are “safer” actually know that the “evil and dangerous” RSO’s are not allowed to drive on the Interstate at 65mph, but instead must drive through their neighborhoods. Hey Mr. Legislator… do you still think your law makes people “safer”?
Keep in mind, if you are a RSO from any other state and you drive through my city on the Interstate, you must exit and drive through residential neighborhoods in order to be in compliance.