Reply To: NARSOL calls on Zuckerberg, Facebook to change policy

Chris

OK, so some of you want to write a letter. Good. You should. I would if I could, but I’m on post-release in NC, so I still cannot access social media.

Anyway, Brenda’s letter was on point. Very well stated position. That’s exactly why we had to write persuasive essays in school people. Nice job Brenda.

I would add (and point out to Zuckerberg) , however, that Facebook’s ban actually makes Facebook a less safe place. Let’s use some common sense. If I am a registered citizen who is doing things right and does not wish to create more victims, then I only use an identifier that the state knows about. I’m not concerned about the state tracking my online activity, because I’m not soliciting minors, not collecting information, not doing anything shady.

If, on the other hand, I am a registered citizen who doesn’t care about creating victims or cannot control my urges, I’m not going to do it in a way that the government can trace it. I’m going to use an email address that the state does not know about. I’m going to post pictures of someone else, so that officers cannot visually connect me to an account. I’m going to operate in the shadows, because that’s what shady people do. Unfortunately, Facebook’s ban forces many RCs to operate in the same shadows, even though their intentions are honest.

If Facebook wants their site to be a safer place, make it a place where RCs can freely log on. Facebook has the list that the states send to them. Use that list to keep a closer eye on RCs. Change the algorithms that detect illicit activity to place more weight to an account that belongs to a registered citizen. People on Facebook with bad intentions would still circumvent the system, but this compromise allows honest people with honest intentions to access the platform without unnecessarily risking the safety of its users.