Reply To: NARSOL calls on Zuckerberg, Facebook to change policy

Jeremy Heady

I would be one of the first to contact them except for one caveat. Even though I live in a state that requires me to submit my online identifiers (Indiana), my state does not go out of its way to give that information to Facebook or any other social media site (as far as I know). I set up my Facebook account about 3 years ago and it has not been affected by Facebook management yet. I have over 1000 friends, manage 4 pages, and am an admin of a group with over 20,000 members. I have also spent money advertising on Facebook for my business. I have had a few run-ins with haters that discovered my status though and quickly blocked them. After hearing some comments on here, I’m wondering if deleting our accounts just doesn’t happen as often as we think.

Even though it doesn’t have a huge impact on my account right now, I would still like to see the TOS changed. If Zuckerburg does change it, it will be quietly and possibly with other changes so as not to bring attention to it. I believe he knows the right thing to do, but is working on a way to do it without it negatively affecting the platform.

I would love to see the letter that was written to him. Our advocacy efforts would be scaled up demonstrably which is what the first amendment protections were designed for. Take, for example, the zillion news sites that only allow commenting through Facebook. How many of us see the comments delivering inaccurate and hateful information and can’t do anything about it? While I can do something about it since I do have an account, my fear is that standing up for our cause with my real name and my Facebook account may get me reported and my account closed. Therefore, I avoid it.