Reply To: Ohio poised to remove thousands from registry

Jeremy Heady

Maestro, not all treatment providers are the same. They are especially different when comparing treatment programs during incarceration and treatment programs during probation/parole. The latter treatment programs force the offender to pay for the treatment and have an incentive to “fail” you and have your supervision violated.

I say this because, although I’m not sure how unique my situation was in this regard, I experienced both types of treatment and they were night and day. While incarcerated in the brig, I attended a very productive treatment program for 2 years and then went to maintenance meetings until my release. Once released, I was directed by parole to attend treatment AGAIN (no reason for this other than money and power) until the end of my parole. This “treatment” program was a joke and I even considered taking it to court on a few fronts (such as forcing us to watch a religious movie that lasted three sessions at $40 a session… I paid $120 to watch a f-ing movie!).

This could be because there is a difference between civilian treatment programs and military treatment programs since there are stark differences in incarceration standards as well. My belief is that no two treatment programs are the same, but when money, power, and politics gets involved, it corrupts the program and the providers.

I am still in contact with my therapist from the brig (and she responds and still gives advice for free) to this day because I consider it to be the only “effective” treatment I received.