Reply To: Who Can We Believe?

Tom

An inconvenient reality I think it’s important to point out is that one of the seven offenders released committed another sex offense within a week of being released. I point this out not to say the Orange County DA was right by any means. But there are enough screaming ideologues running around thumping their scripture and ignoring inconsistencies. The cause of ending up with sex offender legislation that makes sense and ACTUALLY prevents sex offenses and re-offenses is too fragile an issue for us to play that game too. If we want to educate people about sex offenders in the real world (and I am one), then we need to unequivocally live in the real world ourselves. It’s an uphill battle, and “everyone else” has the easy job, being able to simply ask, “well what about how one of those seven people reoffended less than a week later?” You can’t respond to that with dogma, or simply saying the same thing again. Personally, I think NARSOL would do well not only to take ownership of the fight to reform sex offender laws, but to at least try to take ownership of the offenses and the offenders themselves. I don’t have the answer for how to do it, but on a personal level, I have earned the trust of many friends and neighbors by making it clear that I live in the real world, and that I live with what I have done–along with firmly believing the way we have written the laws is grossly hypocritical to how we as a society like to think of ourselves. I think an organization can do that on an organization level.