Reply To: On the registry? Do you know everything you should?

Lawrence Rider

Why aren’t ‘civil’ registration laws ‘servitude’ prohibited by the 13th Amendment?

It would cost the state a lot of money to track me around a 48 hour clock to keep my personal information current. Forcing me to supply data for free is unquestionably ‘exploitation.’

Registration laws don’t seem to qualify as an exception since they do not apply to the general public, and known exceptions like jury duty and military conscription are compensated. Not nearly enough but that’s another problem.

Can’t seem to get an answer. Civilians seem to think I deserve punishment. Officials say little if anything of course.

Human Rights Defense Center says my question is not in their area of expertise and suggested I contact NARSOL.

I think it applies to all ex-felons required to register, not just sex offenders, which usually starts by throwing a person in a cage and advising the person he will never get out unless he participates in a plea bargain process that more often than not surreptitiously operates to strip the person of civil rights. Years later the disenfranchised person is told he will be put back in a cage or killed unless he complies with ‘civil’ ex-felon registration laws.

I fairly estimate the value of registration to government to exceed $250,000 per year, per individual, as the approximate cost to government of acquiring the needed information by alternate means, at its own expense.

So there it is, again, which sounds a lot like human trafficking to me. I hope it generates some discussion since the 13th Amendment is everybody’s protection against forced labor and services, not just ex-felons.