Reply To: NARSOL in Vancouver at ATSA conference

George S

It is good for you to do this for us, but you said “we have been encountering highly interested and supportive persons, especially from the treatment community (therapists and social workers for instance)”, I can’t speak for others but I do not trust Sex Offender Therapists at all, the reason why is that when a SO goes to therapy, in most cases he is forced to go by probation & parole, so the real client is not the SO, it is the probation & parole office, so in order to get clients sent to them, they have to be willing to tow the party line, in other words, view all SOs as being like Ted Bundy. To give an example of what I mean, was attending therapy and had this assignment to fill out and bring to class it was HOW DO OTHERS VIEW SEX OFFENDERS, one section was How do your family and friends view Sex Offenders and I said what is true that my family and friends think that I was stupid for what I did but do not see me as being a danger, and the therapist said to me that if I ever expect to see my niece again (she was 2 at the time), my brother would have to see me as being dangerous, I got so mad!!! But for social workers, seen some that are supportive and sympathetic, I told one of my travails when I was on Supervised Release and he just shook his head, told him how I went back to prison for 18 months for going to get a free bike, give away center was at a high school on a Saturday, and he said “your kidding?”, so yes they can be supportive but any sex offender therapist who wants business from probation & parole, if he wants business can’t afford to be sympathetic to a sex offender, or to try and help him, if they do help, it is usually to help you back prison, from what I have seen, that is what happened to a guy I met, he asked for help while in his group and the help he got was a new charge and that lifetime federal supervised release!