Reply To: NARSOL files amicus brief to Supreme Court, joins another

Joseph Park

The Sex Offender Registry is, plain and simple, an atrocity committed by the state upon its own citizens. It’s all about money. I know you’ve heard that before, but that won’t make sense to you unless you know its origins. Somebody somewhere came up with the idea that private industry could run prisons more cheaply than the state could run its prisons. But, the state already had prisons, fully staffed, but in most cases the prisons had empty beds. It could not be justified to spend $20 million+ to build prison with private money when the states had no demand for the extra beds. So, an elaborate multi-faceted scheme was devised. The federal gov’t. passed the Violent Offender Incarceration / Truth in Sentencing Act, or VOITIS (1996 – 2001). VOITIS offered the states millions of dollars to build new prisons but there were strings attached – the state had to agree to keep incarcerated certain qualifying prioners for at least 85% of their sentences. This included people convicted of assault, murder, battery, robbery, burglary of an occupied dwelling, etc. It also included ALL sex offenders, regardless of whether the criminal act was violent or mutually agreeable. This VOITIS ensured that any state complying with the conditions to receive the money would soon have overloaded prisons, which would soon justify private prison beds. And to ensure that there would be a steady return of prisoners, recidivism was almost assured for sex offenders through the sex offender registry scheme, making it a felony to do nothing. That’s right, a person who fails to register has literally done nothing. But the criminal penalties for failure to register were made even more harsh than the crime originally committed that made the offender have to register. This scheme was dreamed up by the American Legislative Exchange Council, or ALEC.
Not to be outdone, the psychologists and psychiatrists saw a great boon in all this. They lobbied for the forced Sex Offender Counselling that all probationers and parolees are familiar with. That’s right, folks. Starving psychologists could now have their offices overflowing with sex offenders, each forced by a condition of probation or parole to sit through an hour of bullshit once or twice a week at $50.00 or more per session. Most are unable to afford this, so guess what – back to prison for violation of probation (or parole) for not attending – and paying for – “treatment.”

I sat through several of these sessions. It was farcical with 12 to 15 men sitting around looking at each other while the psycologist/facilitator had everybody go around a circle of “patients” and tell everyone why he was guilty of looking at young children with longing for illicit sex. I kid you not, I was there and saw it for myself.

I know I’ve left some things hanging here but I’m not a writer and I’m tired of writing. I gained a lot of knowledge about these matters through 12 years in prison with others who knew a lot about these things.