Reply To: NARSOL files amicus brief to Supreme Court, joins another

Jeremy from Indiana

One thing that occurred to me recently that I think would be a good analogy on how the registry restrictions are indeed punitive is comparing it to voter’s registration. Voter’s registration is said to be the most secure it can be without violating the rights of the voters themselves. Then why do SO registrants have more hoops to jump through to register their status? Here’s some interesting comparisons I’ve made:

Voters can register online or by mail. Registrants MUST register in person.
Voters can vote in absentee ballots so they don’t even have to show their face. Registrants have their picture displayed online that shows with a search of their name from anywhere in the world.
Voters can vote early if it’s not convenient to vote on election day. Registrants must register at a specific time frame and cannot register early (at least where I live, I’ve tried!)
It’s considered racist by some to require ID for voting (huh?), but in my state it’s the law that registrants have ID on them with their current address, so every time I move, I have to get a new ID.

So, to recap, a voter can vote for the most important jobs in the country without an ID, without showing their face, and without leaving their chair, yet it’s secure. Registrants, on the other hand, have laws that restrict their movement (liberty), where they live, how they live, where they work, how often they change their ID.

I’m just saying that voter’s registration should be just as strict as the SO registry. If the excuse is that it violates rights, then guess what? The SO registry violates rights.