Reply To: A not-so-surprising consequence of sexual hysteria: presumed guilt

Ed

Ricky, it is a matter for the legislative branch, specifically the Senate, because of the Constitution’s “advice and consent” clause (see Article II, Section 2). This is not a criminal action, but a confirmation process (circus?), which is political by nature. The question is, “how do we (#WeToo) capitalize on the publicity arising from the Cosby sentencing and the Kavanaugh hearing occurring in the same week?”

My tummy tells me that the first step is to change the public’s perception that all sex offenses and offenders are the same. This perceptual disaggregation is necessary before the public can see that anyone, including themselves, could receive that scarlet letter.

Sex offenders range in culpability from the pure psychopaths to someone who urinated in public or sent her boyfriend a selfie when they were 14. The public lumps everyone in the first category, that is, as John Wayne Gacy junior. On the few occasions when I’ve had the gumption to speak with someone, the response has generally been one of surprise; “Wow, I didn’t know that!”