Reply To: A not-so-surprising consequence of sexual hysteria: presumed guilt

Carol

Janet:
I have worked with many a trauma victim. I endured trauma in the Army, so I respect your position. But you are kind of proving the point of the article. What leads you to assume that Dr. Ford is providing a 100% factually accurate account and that Mr. Kavanaugh is alcoholic and has/had sexual problems in need of intervention? It is primarily emotion, not facts. And this is exactly what drives the prosecution and lifelong punishment of some 50 so-called “sexual offenses.” His binge drinking was rather normative for that era, especially in Catholic schools. Whatever issues you assert Judge Kavanaugh may have had, he clearly got past them decades ago as he became a top performer at Yale and thereafter, going on to become a highly respected jurist. But, his life provides a great example. Had these laws been in existence in 1982, would it be reasonable to destroy this 17 year old’s potential at that point based on an uncorroborated allegation? Even with my suspicions about parts of Dr. Ford’s testimony, all I can say is “I do not know what happened.” I wasn’t there; I have not heard from anyone else who was there.