Reply To: 2 years later, still no action on Michigan’s Sex Offense Registry


I took a plea bargain in 2001 when I was 23 years old in one of those sting operations online in which a cop poses as an underage girl.While I don’t think the tactics that were used to “lure” me out there to be arrested by the police were right and lawful, it is what it is. I am a tier 2 that has to register for 25 years. My advice to seek relief in the Federal Courts as I have done this myself while incarcerated in 2003 when I sued the Michigan Parole Board. To file a lawsuit in Federal Court on your own, you must file a motion with the court clerk in “Pro Se” meaning representing ones self. Make sure you file in the right court. Then you must file a complaint form with the clerk stating your issues and relief sought and whom you are suing. You file an original and 2 copies of the complaint with the court clerk. Then you must file a cover sheet with the court clerk. They will stamp all forms when you file them. The cost to file a lawsuit in Federal Court is $400, but well worth it instead of thousands on a lawyer. If you can prove you cannot pay or have limited assets, you can file to proceed with your lawsuit in “Forma Pauperis” which I did when I was in prison. So I am gonna wait to see what happens on October 17th with this class action lawsuit with the ACLU, if no relief is given, I will sue the State of Micigan on my own using these steps. Hope this helps, learned a lot working in the law library in prison!