Reply To: NARSOL’S AR affiliate: “Limit registry access to LE”

Glen

Saddles,

“Arkansas has 15,800 people on the sex registry, the second largest in the country…”

I suppose it’s all in how you look at it and what research is used. For example, total registrants per state for the top 3 states per capita -in order of highest to lowest might include:

#1 Oregon
#2 Arkansas
#3 Delaware
#4 Michigan
#5 Wisconsin

But, the actual highest number of registrants -as one might expect -generally reside in the most populated states:

#1 California
#2 Florida
#3 Texas
#4 Michigan
#5 New York

It’s interesting that Michigan, for example, appears on both lists. And, as we know Michigan’s registry is in a current state of contest with regards to constitutionality rulings. California too, is currently trying to “restructure” it’s registry as it has well over 100k registrants.

Years ago, I actually thought to myself…at the rate the registry is growing, it’s only a matter of time before the attrition rate becomes so high before states will realize the high cost of supporting and monitoring them become burdensome both in terms of revenue and LE time . My point is, I think we are starting to see some of that occur, and as a result courts are beginning to rule in opposition of the last two decades… Not because they give a damn about following constitutional law, but because the numbers are becoming unmanageable, affecting so many people, and the registry is ineffective. Additionally, no state wants the title of “One of the leading states with the most sex offenders”, whether it be cumulative or per capita. In essence, they are beginning to realize the registry also reflects upon them, their citizens, their state, their tourism, their ability to attract new residents, and most importantly…their money. And that, I feel, is the key…and a primary reason things are finally beginning to change.