Reply To: Warning: Integrity of judicial process at risk

WC_TN

Todd, you say you are a convicted sexual offender and that you oppose the registry and support changes in the judicial process and then you move on to totally ignore (not miss, but ignore) the point of the article. In fact, I find it discrediting that you went on to pretty much uphold everything described in the article. You verbalized verbatim the same “I’ll destroy you come hell or high water and nobody better get in my way!!” mentality this article is attacking.

None of us approves of what this woman did, but I’m going to tell you point-blank something you don’t want to hear but somebody needs to have the courage to tell the truth and I’m going to be the one to tell it.

Yes, what this guidance counselor did was wrong. She crossed the line of ethical conduct by engaging in a sexual relationship with who was very likely a willing participant. This boy was 14 years old. He’s not a little 5-year-old. When you or I were in school Don we both know that it would have been a badge of honor for a male student to score with a female faculty member they liked. I get so tired of hearing older teens talked about as if they’re every bit as naive as a 5-year-old kindergartener. That’s why even the law makes a distinction between the molestation of a 5-year-old or a child under 12 and sex with teens 14 and older which is statutory rape. It’s statutory because there’s no coercion; simply an age difference.

What this “victim” said in his “victim impact statement” sounds exactly like the typical victim narrative dictated by the prosecuting attorney. He talked of trust issues with adults, affecting not only himself, but the whole student body at large, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum.

Now, get off your high horse and read this and tell ME YOU HONESTLY BELIEVE these are the words that originated from a 14-year-old:

“I now have trust issues with adults, and I am unable to form normal relationships with them. I fear being taken advantage of again. There were no physical injuries sustained but there was emotional and mental manipulation that I’m still struggling to suffer through. This caused me to have significantly less self-esteem and mistrust of others. The trauma of it all is debilitating in my daily life. This crime not only impacted me, but other Exeter students as well, as some of my closest friends trusted her to provide counseling to them as well.”

Like I said, this, as far as I’m concerned, is a line of bull dictated to the kid by the prosecutor. This is what you called COACHED TESTIMONY.

14 is young, but I remember when I was in school at that age and any male that age would have worn it as a badge of honor to have scored with an attractive faculty member! This “innocent baby” crap gets pushed too far. I’m willing to bet these kids only develop these “life-long trauma syndromes” after being coached by the prosecutor.