Reply To: NARSOL in Action wrap-up: Colorado deregisgration

Larry Neely
Larry

Timothy,
You are correct and I agree with you that there are other databases that would still have a person’s name, photo, and conviction information after a successful petition for deregistration. I totally disagree with you in terms of your position regarding the value of deregistration. You also stated that “Anyone deregistered will remain on state systems as well, but not suffer public display on state’s SORNA sites. One may claim the 5k a worthwhile investment but if a kid comes up missing near you, expect LEO to visit you anyway.” You are correct on both points. A person deregistered in Colorado will remain in the state’s criminal repository and law enforcement may still visit him/her during a criminal investigation. But that does not diminish the overall value of deregistration. Once a person is no longer required to register, he/she will not be subject to: (1) prosecution for failure to comply with registration which can lead to a substantial term of imprisonment and habitual enhancement in Colorado; (2) banishment from living within an exclusion zone; (3) having their passports stamped because the State Department is only marking current registrants; and (4) banishment from participation in their children’s lives due school policies that prohibit anyone registered from attending school activities or being on campus. I could go on with the advantages in not being subject to registration. This does not mean that the private listings are not a problem. They are. The question is what can be done to curtail their existence in a free society?