Reply To: NARSOL to GoFundMe: Take down that campaign

Glen

Hi Peter.

In my case, here in western NC, the officers didn’t ask permission to come in. Rather, they informed me that they were required to come inside my home to “verify” that I actually lived here. While I contested it, I was never confrontatonal about it; I simply stated I don’t agree with it and did not feel comfortable with it, “but, Ok”…

Ignorantly, and still, I had no idea if I was required to submit to such an – what I felt was an invasion of privacy – but with all the restrictions that we are already subject to, I thought perhaps there may have been some new requirement. The officers werent rude, nor was I, but they were adamant that just merely seeing me at my residence was not enough evidence for them to confirm I lived there. So, I didn’t put up a fuss…Maybe I should have, but I wasn’t sure what might happen if I refused. So, I allowed them in. One officer stayed in my living room looking around, while the other went to my bedroom and looked inside my closet. They never asked to look at computers, cell phones, tablets, or anything else though. Next time, I’m going to record the event, but I’m sure that will infuriate them. I’ve done my best to stay respectful of officers and obey the laws since my charge from 2003. Today, I don’t have anything to hide, but I well know that a pissed off policeman uninvited inside your home will often try vindictively to find anything to escalate a charge if they feel slighted in the least. And, that is my concern by elevating this to the ACLU. But, I feel if I don’t take a stand, it won’t get any better either. Damned if I do, damned if I dont. So…I imagine this could get tense, but l guess I’ve just had enough. At what point, does it end?

At this point, I still really don’t know if this is permissible, if this is a county sheriffs policy, or this is just the deputys taking it on their own to “say” this is a requirement when, in fact, they are just making it up…I aim to find out though; hence, I filed a complaint with the ACLU.

Just three weeks ago, another bizarre event happened. At 830 am, there was a knock at my door. It was a county deputy who stated that he had received a call that I was on the registry and that there was reportedly a minor living in the home. I said, “Yes sir, I am on the registry and there is a minor in the home. I don’t understand what the problem is, or why are your here?”
He stated, he had received an “anonymous” call reporting that and he was required to check it out and refused to tell me who called. I told him, my charge was from 2003, it was a non-contact charge (peeping tom 1st offense) and there were never any allegations of physical abuse. I told him I was not on probation, parole, and I had no restictions preventing me from living in a home where a minor also resided, so I don’t understand why you are here. He stated he had received a call and was required to check on it…such bullshit. It’s simply harassment plain and simple.

Are you in NC also?