Reply To: 2 years later, still no action on Michigan’s Sex Offense Registry

Bobby

Hello everyone,

Well I finally heard back from Mrs Washington or her assistant anyway, and as I thought she claims that the Does v Snyder ONLY applies to the original 6 defendant’s NOT all registrant’s and we all know that is a BIG FAT LIE, I have read the 6th circuits decision many times and no way can I find were the 2006 and 2011 Amendment’s ONLY applies to the original six, It does say however that the 2006 and 2011 amendments can NO LONGER be applied retroactively to people WHO’S conviction(s) where before the Amendments were put into place, or something to that effect.

Anyway here is their response back to me, Thank you for your email dated August 14, 2018. Director Washington asked me to respond to you. We issued the Director’s Office Memorandum 2018-23 following the Sixth Circuit’s opinion in Doe v. Snyder et al, Case Nos. 15-1536/2346/2486. The purpose of the memorandum is to instruct MDOC employees only, and was based on this Department’s understanding of the opinion and its application to MDOC policies and procedures. The Doe opinion is specific in most instances to the plaintiffs in the case—not to all registrants. For this reason, each state department as well as each law enforcement agency must make an independent interpretation of the law and how, based on that interpretation, it will implement any changes it deems are required by the Doe opinion. Not every entity will interpret the case the same, and there have not been any subsequent opinions that give clarity to how the provisions of Doe apply to the entire registrant population. The MDOC memorandum only directs actions taken by MDOC employees. I hope this explanation helps.

Lisa C. Geminick
Administrator/Office of Legal Affairs
MI Department of Corrections
517.335.4188 Direct
PLEASE NOTE THESE ARE NEW TELEPHONE NUMBERS.

So there it is in a nutshell folk’s please let me know what your thought’s are regarding their response, and please feel free to correct me, if you do not think the 6th circuit’s decision does not apply to everyone and only applies to the original 6 defendants. Thanks in advance.