Reply To: Illinois appeals court finds sex offender registration requirement too harsh

Misdemeanor offender

I would like to see some federal lawsuits to remove and dismantle the National Sex Offender Registry and the caboose of acts that are attached to it.

A significant issue that I discovered is that states law differ significantly. In fact, a misdemeanor in Georgia could be a felony in California. What is perverse about these laws in how the federal registry mandates are that if a person is removed from a state registry, they are still on a federal registry for life. It doesn’t go away – ever. An individual removed from a Georgia offender registry will still have to re-register if they move to let’s say Texas for a better job. The federal database alerts Texas that an individual convicted of a sex offense in Georgia, but no longer on the registry, moved to Texas. It is insanity at its finest because of the national registry standards.

While I am pleased that Illinois courts are revisiting specific laws and conditions. It is only a matter of time before some federal law begins to restrict states rights by implementing another round of ex-post facto policies.

Let’s face facts. A new wave of politicians will be sworn in after the midterm elections. Many of these politicians have a #metoo movement legislation agenda that will more than likely create new additions to the national registry and perhaps states registries. It is going to become a convoluted registry that will clog courts, families, individuals and enforcement standards that may witness arrest increases because of mixed laws. The similarities are already found with immigration standards and somehow crossing over to sex offender registries.