Reply To: AWA Loses in Pennsylvania’s Highest Court – Discussion Continued

Anonymous

I don’t advertise the fact I am in the registry but I don’t run away or hide from it either. All my friends know and everyone who I see on a consistent basis knows. If someone would ask me (has happened a few times) I would say, “yes, what of it?”
There are two groups of people I have found that typically freak out when they meet a sex offender. Those are those over 50 and single mothers with young children. I also have found those that do freak out are the ones that want to create a town for sex offenders only.
Attitudes have shifted and it’s the state’s fault. Once they started adding people for custodial interference to the registry, they lost their no 1 argument: it is not punishment. The Muniz Court specifically mentioned this. As people are forced to live around and interact with “sex offenders” they realize they are just people like themselves.
I hope the PASC grants Terry’s request to be heard. I believe they will have a problem with the state saying they created a new law to “fix” their decision. To say you “fixed” something is to imply there was something wrong with it in the first place.
As far as the residency restrictions they aren’t going anywhere and they know it. They passed ACT within 2 1/2 months. They could have a law on the books right now for residency restrictions if they wanted to. They may eventually pass it, but they know no way it is going to fly.