Reply To: PA state police arrests for sex offense registry infractions skyrocket

Maestro

This sentence right here from the article….

“And more than 96 percent of defendants charged with a sexual offense in 2016 had no criminal history of sexual violence.”

This statement makes the assumption that the word “offense” means “violence” when it involves sex.
Interesting that this online news media doesn’t allow for comments. Someone needs to start telling it like it is because MY offense was not violent and the prosecutor in my case clearly admitted in the court (and I have the transcript) that “it was a consensual relationship, your honor”. So….where’s the violence?
We are allowing even those with an open minded, non bias journalistic approach to still be bias in that they think (and making the readership think) that a sexual “offense” means “violent”.
The word “offense” just means you offended against the written law.
If I stole a pack of cigarettes from a store and tried to sneak out with them, how is that violent? It’s not. But it’s an offense. Same with consensual sex or sexually chatting via the Internet with a minor. It’s illegal, but it doesn’t equate to the definition of “violence/violent”.

Please educate these people. 🤦🏻‍♂️