Reply To: NARSOL streamlines original lawsuit; NCRSOL files new lawsuit

Robin Vander Wall
Robin Vander Wall
Admin

Definitely a different question than asked in Doe. The Court in the Connecticut case presumed that all the Due Process necessary to afford a registered citizen had already been provided in his/her trial. The Court disallowed the argument that one should receive additional process before publishing the fact of his/her conviction. This is why the Connecticut case is the most debilitating for our ultimate objective (to confront the fact that state publication is, in and of itself, unconstitutional). That’s a long hill to climb and is going to require a tectonic shift in our cultural underpinnings. Meaning, we’re going to have to see Americans start talking seriously about the European concept of a “right to be forgotten” before we can expect to make much headway. I think we can definitely strive for that. And I believe that it’s a winnable argument. But I don’t believe it’s one we will win in my lifetime. Unfortunately. Americans (as evidenced by our present leaders) are not ready for such a progressive march towards a “more perfect union.”