Reply To: America’s new pastime: Stomping on the underdog

Glen

Good article. However, I disagree with the premise of the articles title,
“America’s new pastime: Stomping on the underdog”

American history is full of examples of underdog Stomping. On the contrary, I would argue it’s just as American as apple pie. The targets of good Ole American underdog stomping just changes depending on era and opportunity. Today, it’s our turn in the target line.

From Native Americans, blacks, women, homosexuals, Irish, communist black lists, Japanese American internment camps,…just to name a few American examples of stomping on the underdog. And, Americas excuses for doing so range from “Public Safety” to my personal favorite regarding the annihilation and genocide of a people, “Divine Providence”.

Contrary to our well documented and expressed beliefs as a nation of individual rights and personal liberties, we are notorious for historically denying them. Today, the land of the free and brave, ironically, leads the world in prison population. That’s right, we lock up more of our citizens than Russia or China. It’s big business. And, as for the new American past time of under dog stomping…we are simply the newest, easiest justifiable targets; it’s totally American….and “Business as usual”.