Reply To: America’s new pastime: Stomping on the underdog

Daniel Silverman

I apologize and I should have been clearer. The people who exposed James Gunn’s tweets were Jack Posobiec and Mike Cernovich, conspiracy theorists that are considered part of the “alt-right” and are also often referred to as being “conservative”, depending on which articles you read.

In any case, the piece was not originally intended to be a well-researched article, but was me simply writing an email to Sandy, expressing my feelings on the matter because I thought she would find it interesting and relative. When she suggested we publish it here, we cleaned up the grammar and let the core of what I’d written stay as it was. As Sandy pointed out, the crux of the intent was not about who exposed James Gunn, but about the idea that once someone has done something bad in their past, our current society does not seem to allow us to ever move past that. We once celebrated people moving beyond their pasts and making something of themselves. This no longer seems to be the case for many Americans these days.