Reply To: Deadly collateral consequences of the “non-punitive” sex offender registry

Glen

Great article. It details many of the tragedys that have affected registered folks and their family’s. It also caused me to wonder and question, what becomes of the registry profile of those that have passed away. Upon a little research, I found very little happens. What I discovered was, in many cases, many registrants now deceased remained on the registry- and in some cases many years after death. For example, I found this:

“Seven years after Justin's parents found his lifeless body in his bedroom, they received a letter addressed to Justin from Karen Johnson, manager of the Sex Offender and Registry Enforcement Unit, saying that Justin would be removed from the public part of the registry and he might be eligible to have it removed from the registry altogether….

When asked about Justin's name remaining on the registry seven years after his death, state police spokeswoman Shanon Banner said that names are not removed from the registry unless a family member sends the registry enforcement unit a death certificate.”

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/2016/aug/25/family-dead-registered-sex-offender-still-receiving-registry-letters/

It just further illustrates the ineffective ability of the registry to protect the public by continuing to list those who have paid their debt, and even deceased resigistrants as threats. And sadly, for many, the punishment of the registry clearly extends even beyond life, as in the above mentioned cases. It’s simply a shaming, and banishment tool offering little, if any, “Public protection”.