Reply To: America’s new pastime: Stomping on the underdog

Daniel Silverman

“Why isn’t there a list of sex offender-friendly employers by state?”

Because being listed as such would mean the end of their businesses. People would boycott them and claim that these businesses were secretly run by pedophiles. I had my artwork displayed in a comic shop (at their request). When they found out I was on the registry, they asked for me to take back my art because they feared they would lose business.

It’s “heroic” to hire felons, except sex offenders. Take, for example, the actor Danny Trejo and the numerous crimes he had committed in his past. Yet, he turned his life around and is a very different man. I’ve met him and he is one of the nicest people you could meet. Society will applaud him for becoming the man he is today, someone very different than he once was. As a result, it’s okay for Mr. Trejo to be in films and make appearances at conventions and just generally be around people. We want him to succeed, especially in light of his extremely violent past and the amazing 180 he’s done on his life. But if Mr. Trejo had committed a sexual offense among his other numerous crimes? You can bet that he wouldn’t be where he is today, no matter how much he’d changed.