Reply To: WSP-TV in Atlanta: Regarding sex offenders, give the full facts

James Coghill

Clayton County District Attorney Tracy Lawson does not believe that those who have sexually offended against a child can be rehabilitated.

Ms. Lawson it doesn’t matter what you believe. You were not hired to enforce your beliefs, you were hired to enforce the law. You sound like Peter Strzok testifying before congress yesterday. If the GBI wants to pardon those convicted of a sex offense that’s their business under the law and that’s why you are not on the GBI and never will be. Also I detect a huge amount of personal bias in your statement. Were you molested?

To say a sex offender can’t be rehabilitated is the equivalent of saying that nobody can lose weight, quit smoking or stop using alcohol or drugs when we know that they do it all the time. If you were to say such a thing today people would think you had lost your mind. Why is sex any different? I don’t know, maybe you have lost your mind and if so you have no business working as an elected official because it is not your job to enforce morality, it is your job to enforce the law and they are not the same thing.

Another thing to consider and this should be a factor in our sentencing of all crimes is that every 7 years every cell in your body has been replaced. The person you are today isn’t the person you were 7 years ago. 7 years should therefore equal a life sentence because there is no biological scientific basis for incarcerating people longer than that.

Finally it should be remembered that using the law to create a class of people with fewer rights and privileges than the public at large and providing no means of escaping that class of people is called SLAVERY Ms. Lawson. Do you promote SLAVERY Ms. Lawson? Living in the deep south I didn’t think so. That’s not an admission that would make you worthy of re-election is it?

James Coghill