Reply To: Deadly collateral consequences of the “non-punitive” sex offender registry

George In Texas

Karl, as far as the Static99-R is concerned, evidently it does take into account some aspects of a person who has remained offense free in the community for some time, and possibly age could have something to do with it as well. At least here in Texas, in fact I was recently given the name and phone number of a woman who oversees the Sex Offender Rehabilitation Programs for the State of Texas. Here in Texas if you have been back in the community for at least five years without any type of new offense, not even a mfisdemeanor, and your case was a state level case, not Federal, you can apply to have a new risk assessment given to you, the main tool used for this is the Static99-R.

I called the woman and she said that I met the requirements and that she would send me a letter telling me what the result would be within 2 weeks or so. It wasn’t more than a day that I learned that my risk level here in the State of Texas was indeed reduced from Moderate to Low and it was reflected on the Texas DPS website that same day.