Reply To: Deadly collateral consequences of the “non-punitive” sex offender registry

Maestro

“This article was written for the REST of the world, using their terminology to facilitate their understanding and perhaps evoke a response”

I get what you’re saying, Michael, but perhaps there’s a way for writers to slip it into an article that people who have 1 offense of a sexual nature (or any type of 1 time crime) should not be continuously labeled by that crime.
I’ve mentioned before that I am a cigarette smoker so if you call me a smoker, I can’t argue that. But to call me a sex offender for a 1 time incident that happened 14 yrs ago is just not a correct assessment of who I am.

I often wonder why people who have not touched alcohol for 20+ yrs still insist on referring to themselves as “recovering”. You’re not “recovering”, you have long since recovered.
This is that victim mentality. I wouldn’t be surprised if “victimhood” becomes a new profession to go to college for. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I just wonder if such a profession would pay by the hour or by the number of times we can say we’ve been victimized.