Reply To: Deadly collateral consequences of the “non-punitive” sex offender registry

Michael McKay
Michael McKay

Congrats on reaching the end of your registration term, Maestro! And thank you for your kind comments about the article! I agree, the information should be shared as widely as possilble by anyone and everyone who cares a whit about this issue. One of the only ways we’ll be able to energize the general public enough to care about this problem is to remind them that the registry hurts a lot of innocent people as well as the registrants.

By the way, I am going to apologize in advance (before I get scolded, lol) for using the term “sex offender” an awful lot of times in this article. I know that ticks off some people. I’m going to be brutally honest here. This article wasn’t written for registrants, their families, and their associates. They already know just how horrible it is being on the list, and how it harms everyone involved (and even the uninvolved). This article was written for the REST of the world, using their terminology to facilitate their understanding and perhaps evoke a response. It was also written in such a way as to get noticed and ranked by search engines using their relevency algorithms, ensuring wider dissemination. “Placing ourselves in the path” of the average internet user requires that we anticipate what their search terms and language patterns will be. I know not everyone agrees with me on this, but I can only do what I think will be most effective at spreading the message. I promise to be more sensitive to this issue whenever I can in the future!