Reply To: Deceptive Headlines Stoke Sex Offender Hysteria

Michael McKay
Michael McKay

To be perfectly honest, I rarely gave this issue any thought at all until I was arrested myself. For months, the local police and DA’s office were allowed to issue press release after press release making the most outlandish claims imaginable about me and about the people associated with me, without any regard for the truth whatsoever. I was blissfully(?) unaware of what was happening, as I was cut off from family, friends, and news sources for quite some time as they continuously shuffled me from facility to facility, sometimes without even my lawyer knowing where they’d moved me to. Many of the media reports relied heavily upon social media postings as their sources. (Someone said it on Facebook, it must be true!) At least one news outlet published all the profile photos of contributing authors on my blog and stated that they were all my sex partners. I could go on and on. Suffice to say, the great majority of the things reported about me were complete nonsense, but that didn’t stop it from almost destroying lives of many innocent people whose only crime was being my friend or business associate. Since then, I’ve become extremely sceptical of news articles peddling sex offender sensationalism. A great example is the recent media circus surrounding “Smallville” actress Allison Mack and the supposed NXIVM “sex-cult” she promoted with Keith Raniere. I have no idea just how accurate the news reports have been on that story, but I’d be willing to bet the rent that the answer is, “Not very.”