Reply To: Today they stamped “sex offender” on my driver’s license

Fred
Fred
Admin

We the People do not write the laws. We elect and lobby officials who do. The courts ensure that those laws stay within the confines of the U.S. Constitution. It’s all part of our Checks and Balances system. Unfortunately the “Checks” part of it moves very slowly.

Judges and Justices have a job to remain rigid and uphold the Constitution, despite public backlash. No amount of yelling or screaming should influence their opinion, and if it does, they are unfit to sit on the bench. You should consider that a good thing, because at this time the pro-registry voices will drown out the anti-registry voices.

There is absolutely nothing free about a state that requires one class of citizens to maintain a valid ID, but not another class. Therein lies my point, we fight these laws in court on Constitutional grounds.

As I said, I am all for protests. They will help raise awareness and influence public opinion, and that translates into votes for officials who will support reasonable legislation. Refusing to comply with the registry laws that are now in the books is not a healthy protest. That would be a crime, and would cause more problems for registrants everywhere.