Reply To: Evil is alive and well in Florida

Ree Bebetu

This is inhuman and utterly evil. It is a travesty of the Brotherhood that this nation was founded upon. It is a gross contradiction of our Lord’s teaching…Treat your neighbor as you would like to be treated. I am so disappointed that Humans can treat their fellows this manner. I am so disillusioned that our government can allow Humans to treat their fellows this manner. I listened to a documentary on public radio the other day about the prison system in Norway. The inmates there do not lose their rights. Norway believes that anyone can make a mistake, and that when one does, then he/she should make amends and pay a debt to society. But inmates are not cut off from society. They are taught new ways of thinking and new ways of living. In Norway, the prison system turns even really bad people around. It rehabilitates people. Inmates are allowed to keep their human dignity. Their needs are met, and they get the same medical attention that all citizens get. And the recidivism rate straight across the the board is less than one percent.

What is wrong with America? We don’t need a Registry–or if we do, only the worst sex offenders, the ones who actually hurt children or women, should be on it. Something must be done to abolish the Registry, which is an evil far greater than the crimes most of the people who suffer from it will ever commit.