Reply To: The sex offender registry — it’s not what you think

misdemeanor offender

Well said Sandy!

I too can get a bit emotional, at times, and convey my frustration about how media, people, and the machine of politics fail to understand the bigger picture. But I must always remember I cannot win a war on advocacy alone. I require a squad, battalion, or an army of citizens that can lay counterclaims and proof by examples. It is entirely justified to be angry, isolated, sad, frustrated, and blame assessed in our day-to-day feelings. After all, everyone on this website is either sharing or learning they are not alone when it comes to particular topic matters – and we are truly thankful for your contributions.

What I am thankful for each day is that we are growing and slowly being heard. I am also grateful for those that look beyond the rhetoric and politized agenda returning to sound logic and academic data. While I am personally frustrated at the slow pace of change, I must remain optimistic or have at least a glimmer of hope not for myself, but for others affected by sex offender laws. Eventually, someone will listen. It may not be today or tomorrow. It will come and entirely by surprise.

We live in a society filled with fake news, misleading headlines, shock journalism and fear-mongering social media random postings that even my mother questions as somewhat believable. Some websites, laws, and social media applications do not allow registered, convicted, or accused sex offenders to reasonably access equitable debate without violating terms of conditions. Thank god we have NARSOL and other supporting sites to help facilitate a platform to hopefully in time level the playing field.

I may not be able to afford NARSOL conferences but my direction and passion to help change sex offender registry laws has become my new quest. I am engaged at voicing out opposition by writing short press responses in local news papers, and hopefully future writes for local NARSOL sites. I cannot sit idly by and wallow in shame. Instead, I think it is crucial to shrug the embarrassment and redirect the conversation to target the critical issues of how registry laws do more harm than good.

Again, thank you Sandy and all the others in the background working diligent and hard to resourcefully arm those affected by the registry and educate those unschooled in opposition to the registry.