Reply To: Sexual offense laws: What does the future hold?

Kendal

You said it very well.

The sad thing is that many people will not even survive. Mark Sailing from Glee, took his own life rather that go through the hell that this type of conviction brings.

Just this past week, a person I knew of but didn’t really know did the same thing in PA. Check out rather than go through this. He wasn’t even convicted yet, so no one can ever know whether or not it was true, and since in our society we are innocent until proven guilty, he will never actually be guilty of this.

Even my husband, who gets out of prison next month admits the thought has occurred to him, but thankfully he realizes I can forgive him for his crime, but I could not forgive him for taking his own life. I would understand, but nor forgive. He made it 8 years. His life will not be better, but we will get to be together, and that makes it ok at least.

It pisses me off to no end every time I hear of someone checking out. If I can make it through this, then you can. I have been going through this living hell for 25 years now, and every time I think I see light at the end of the tunnel, it ends up being a freight train. But I have still fought. I am still alive. I may not be thriving in the normal definition of the word, but I am alive, and until that time that my mortal vessel gives up and breathes no more, I will be alive, and I will do nothing to hasten that event up. And if I can do it, then anyone can. It may not be how we envisioned our lives, but we can at least survive. I seriously doubt anyone one of answered the question “What do you want to be when you grow up?” with “I want to be a registered sex offender”, but it is what life has doled out to me, and I will carry it to the end.

Please, please, please, if you are thinking about suicide—-DON’T DO IT. Talk to someone, a therapist, a minister, hell, find me on here and talk to me, but please don’t take your life. Every human life is precious, even a sex offender, and we can’t afford to lose a single one until it is their time to go.