Reply To: SCOTUS Denies to Hear Muniz

Steve

Today I received some very good news. I was removed from the registry. I called the Megan’s Law number 1-816-771-3170 and was told that I am no longer required to register. To make it official, I received a removal letter from PSP stating unequivocally that “A review of your conviction record has revealed you are no longer required to register as a sexual offender with the Pennsylvania State Police at this time.” I am no longer listed on the Megan’s Law website.

After 7 years of hell on earth, I am finally free.

God bless the Pennsylvania Supreme Court for this decision. I could look at this as a crime against humanity for being subjected to an unconstitutional punishment for the past 5 years. But I prefer to look at it as the grace of God.

There are still too many people, my brothers, who are still on the registry, still subject to the constant threat of losing employment, having their travel restricted, their Passport labeled, their family life impacted in so many ways. I wish the best for everyone still suffering on this list and subject to these unconstitutional, illegal, and immoral restrictions. My prayers are with you and I will not forget you. I will do whatever I can to push back on these horrible laws, I will continue to support NARSOL, and I will seek other opportunities to redress these wrongs.

It is a great weight that is lifted and I am thankful. I have a restored faith in our constitutional system and the rule of law. I can never recover this lost time, nor can I escape the mistakes of my past, but I can now move forward with my life. I can travel more freely. I can go about my business without worrying about a colleague or a neighbor identifying me as a sex offender. I won’t be denied service by Match.com, or by airbnb, or denied entry into a foreign country because of my mere presence on a website. I won’t worry about visiting family in other states and staying for more than 7 days, without alerting the State Police. I can buy a new car without having to report it to the authorities within 3 days. I will no longer have to obsess about all of these absurd rules and regulations. I won’t have to worry about being caught on a technicality and charged with a felony for violating registration requirements.

I will no longer have “sex offender” branded to my identify. I am free.